With the imperceptibility of a digital watermark comes the need to indicate enhanced content is available.
Regular Visibility in the Publication
Newspapers and magazines using watermarks for the first time must allocate space within their publications and educate readers on the new capabilities within the print edition. Readers must clearly understand how to download and use the app, and how to find the watermarked content within the publication. At the launch, publishers should consider devoting a full page in magazines and an equivalent size in newspapers to this education, with a column or standard space in the first 8 pages of issues following the launch that continues to remind readers of this information.
The app can also be advertised as way to simplify life; in addition to detecting the publication's digital watermarked content, the Digimarc® Discover app also features the ability to read QR codes and barcodes — requiring just one app instead of three.
How Users will Find Watermarks in Your Publication
Users will identify watermarked content either by the Circle D symbol, a publication’s custom-designed symbol or logo, or blue hyperlinked text. Below is an example of how the Digimarc Circle D symbol has appeared in publications to inform readers of the presence of watermarked content:
Sample Downloading Instructions
Publishers will need to provide directions to their users on how to download an enabled app, and how to use the app to find watermarked content within the publication. Below are sample instructions.
- DOWNLOAD the free app from the iTunes App Store or Google Play (simply search for “Digimarc” [or your publication's mobile reader app name]).
- LAUNCH the app and view the animated tutorial showing how it works.
- LOOK for the Circle D symbol throughout the publication and point the phone at the center of the accompanying images (not the symbol). The app works best in well-lit areas.
- HOLD your phone about 3-5" away and parallel to the page, allowing the camera to focus. If you do not get an immediate connection, slowly adjust the distance from the page.
- EXPERIENCE print come to life.
Sample instructional graphics for the end user
Digimarc has provided the following line art illustrations as a starting point for your own messaging to the end user to ensure they have the best experience. Feel free to add your own branding and copy.
The Digimarc Circle D Trademark
The Digimarc Circle D mark is part of the Digimarc Discover platform. You may download the Circle D as an option to indicate the presence of digitally watermarked content, or an application's ability to detect a digital watermark. When used alone, its purpose is to provide a visual cue to educate consumers and communicate an opportunity to "Discover" something related to content or objects of interest.